To enrich the campus collegiate experience, Rutgers–Newark is committed to offering compelling student-centric programs, services, and co-curricular involvement opportunities, which ensures a student's growth and development.
Rutgers University-Newark faculty and staff ensures their students become effective leaders, involved citizens, and critical thinkers we can create an inclusive campus community that promotes social awareness, cultivates a respect for diversity and fosters community development.
Our community welcomes you
- Student clubs and organizations. Make friends while making a difference on and off campus through a wide variety of groups, including professional clubs, honor societies, and cultural organizations.
- Civic engagement. Our campus is committed to building stronger communities throughout Newark with civic learning or volunteerism and service,
- Greek life. Participate in academic, social, philanthropic, and leadership activities as a member of a fraternity or sorority.
- Club and sports and intramural. Find an activity that’s right for you: dance team, flag football, intramural soccer, and more.
- Team sports. Cheer on or join one of our many men’s and women’s NCAA Division III New Jersey athletics teams
Rutgers University-Newark Events:
- Homecoming Weekend (Fall). The whole Rutgers family attends this fun-filled fall weekend, including a pep rally, alumni parade, tailgate party, and—of course—a Scarlet Knights football game.
- RU-N Open House. Welcomes undergraduate and graduate prospective students on Saturday, October 21, 2017.
- First-Year Focus (Fall). Rutgers-Newark residence hall students participate in social mixers, faculty-staff socials and a variety of events to promote the academic social and emotional wellness of Rutgers students. hoping to replace if I find something more exciting
- Welcome Week (Fall). Week-long series of events to kickoff the academic year, including RU-N Showcase and the Glow Carnival.
- Halsey Festival (Fall). An exciting joint campus and community event celebrating the rich history of the city of Newark and the neighborhood commerce and development of the well-known Halsey Street community.
- Fall Festival. (September 2017). It’s a carnival! Bring your friends and family for a day of games, music, BBQ, and more. Win a prize at one of the carnival games, pose with friends in the photo booth, make a craft, or cool off with some ice cream and food! There will also be a BBQ so make sure you bring your appetite! Students make sure you stop by and tell all your friends about it!!
- First-Year Student Week. A week-long series of events for first year students, including First-Year Festival and the Student Olympics
- World’s Fair (Spring). Large-scale cultural celebration hosted on Samuels' Plaza that includes performances, music and food.
- Admitted Student Day (April 21, 2018). This mega campus event gives admitted student the inside view of life as a Rutgers University-Newark student.
- Rutgers Day (Spring). The Rutgers family invites the state and the world to a spring festival—featuring more than 300 free performances, tours, exhibits, lectures, hands-on activities, and more— that showcases the best of Rutgers.
- Road Trips. New York, Philadelphia, and DC are really close. Scheduled journeys and impromptu junkets are possibilities at Rutgers.
- Theater, The Rutgers/NJIT Theatre Program
- Chorus Concerts
- Talks and Lecture
- The Newark Museum
Students are welcomed to find their voice and purpose at Rutgers University Newark.