Rutgers University–Newark is open and operating with mostly remote instruction. The Office of Graduate and Undergraduate Admissions will operate remotely through spring 2021. Information on the university’s response and requirements on COVID-19 are available at coronavirus.rutgers.edu and coronavirus.rutgers.edu/covid-19-vaccine/#forStudents
To enrich the campus collegiate experience, Rutgers–Newark is committed to offering compelling student-centric programs, services, and co-curricular involvement opportunities, which ensures a student's growth and development.
Rutgers University-Newark faculty and staff ensures their students become effective leaders, involved citizens, and critical thinkers we can create an inclusive campus community that promotes social awareness, cultivates a respect for diversity and fosters community development.
Our community welcomes you
- Student clubs and organizations. Make friends while making a difference on and off campus through a wide variety of groups, including professional clubs, honor societies, and cultural organizations.
- Civic engagement. Our campus is committed to building stronger communities throughout Newark with civic learning or volunteerism and service,
- Greek life. Participate in academic, social, philanthropic, and leadership activities as a member of a fraternity or sorority.
- Club and sports and intramural. Find an activity that’s right for you: dance team, flag football, intramural soccer, and more.
- Team sports. Cheer on or join one of our many men’s and women’s NCAA Division III New Jersey athletics teams
Rutgers University-Newark Events:
- Homecoming Weekend (Fall). The whole Rutgers family attends this fun-filled fall weekend, including a pep rally, alumni parade, tailgate party, and—of course—a Scarlet Knights football game.
- RU-N Open House. Welcomes undergraduate and graduate prospective students on Saturday, October 21, 2017.
- First-Year Focus (Fall). Rutgers-Newark residence hall students participate in social mixers, faculty-staff socials and a variety of events to promote the academic social and emotional wellness of Rutgers students. hoping to replace if I find something more exciting
- Welcome Week (Fall). Week-long series of events to kickoff the academic year, including RU-N Showcase and the Glow Carnival.
- Halsey Festival (Fall). An exciting joint campus and community event celebrating the rich history of the city of Newark and the neighborhood commerce and development of the well-known Halsey Street community.
- Fall Festival. (September 2017). It’s a carnival! Bring your friends and family for a day of games, music, BBQ, and more. Win a prize at one of the carnival games, pose with friends in the photo booth, make a craft, or cool off with some ice cream and food! There will also be a BBQ so make sure you bring your appetite! Students make sure you stop by and tell all your friends about it!!
- First-Year Student Week. A week-long series of events for first year students, including First-Year Festival and the Student Olympics
- World’s Fair (Spring). Large-scale cultural celebration hosted on Samuels' Plaza that includes performances, music and food.
- Admitted Student Day (April 21, 2018). This mega campus event gives admitted student the inside view of life as a Rutgers University-Newark student.
- Rutgers Day (Spring). The Rutgers family invites the state and the world to a spring festival—featuring more than 300 free performances, tours, exhibits, lectures, hands-on activities, and more— that showcases the best of Rutgers.
- Road Trips. New York, Philadelphia, and DC are really close. Scheduled journeys and impromptu junkets are possibilities at Rutgers.
- Theater, The Rutgers/NJIT Theatre Program
- Chorus Concerts
- Talks and Lecture
- The Newark Museum
Students are welcomed to find their voice and purpose at Rutgers University Newark.