Rutgers University–Newark is open and operating with mostly remote instruction. The Office of Graduate and Undergraduate Admissions will operate remotely through spring 2021. Information on the university’s response to COVID-19 is available at coronavirus.rutgers.edu
Admitted students may request an admissions deferral under certain conditions.
Who May Request a Deferral:
- First Year Students: Deferrals of admission may ONLY be granted to first-year students for a full academic year, from one fall semester to the very next fall semester.
- Transfer Students: Deferrals of admission cannot be granted to transfer students.
- Military Deferral Students: Special Circumstance for Active Military Service Person: The one exception is for first-year or transfer students deferring to complete obligations for the U.S. military, such as basic training or a deployment. Students requesting a military deferral may request consideration for future entry in either the spring or fall semester.
How to Request a Deferral:
- Please contact us in writing with your $150 enrollment fee, if you have not already submitted it online, to request a deferral. A deferral is official only when you are notified that the Office of Undergraduate Admissions has granted your request.
- Your Rutgers Status screen will be updated to show when the deferral request has been granted. If a first-year student deferral is denied, your fee will be refunded.
- No college courses may be taken during the deferral year. Enrollment in any college credit-bearing courses, even if you do not complete them, will nullify the deferral.
- Students who have been granted a deferral for 2019 must submit a 2020 application for undergraduate admission, follow all instructions, and adhere to all 2020 due dates. No new application fee is required. The 2020 application will be available online in September 2019.
- First-year students requesting a deferral must still submit a final official high school transcript certifying graduation and showing all courses and grades from grades 9 through 12 by July 1, 2019. (Deferrals are conditioned on successful completion of all senior courses with no decline in grades. Any senior grades below a C can result in the deferral being rescinded.)
- Transfer applicants requesting deferment due to U.S. military service must still submit final official college transcripts by June 1, 2019. (Deferrals are conditioned on successful completion of all college courses with no decline in grades. Any grades below a C in the most recent semester can result in the deferral being rescinded.)
- If the deferral is granted and you submit (as required) an updated application for the 2020 application year by the due dates — adhering to the terms above — you will receive notification of admission by February 28, 2020. You will need to accept the admission offer by May 1, 2020. The acceptance fee you paid for 2019 will be applied to 2020.
Scholarships and EOF Awards:
- First-year students receiving a merit scholarship may defer their enrollment for one academic year and will be offered the same merit scholarship for the year of enrollment. Students must follow all deferral guidelines in order to maintain admissions and scholarship.
- Educational Opportunity Fund (EOF) awards are specific to each academic year and may not be deferred.