Our university recently completed a strategic plan that underscores this defining aspect of RU-N’s identity, leveraging the need to develop our anchor institution agenda.
Anchor Institution: Strategic Priorities
- Building Strong Educational Pathways (pre-K-16) for Increased Postsecondary Attainment
- Strong, Healthy, and Safe Neighborhoods
- Promoting and Leveraging the Arts and Culture
- Science and the Urban Environment
- Entrepreneurship and Economic Development
- Honors Living-Learning Community: An Option for Transfer Students
Experience our newest campus and community collaborative Express Newark located in the historic and newly redesigned Hahne's building. Express Newark is a conceptual framework and an interdisciplinary learning space where artists and community residents collaborate, experiment, and innovate in partnership with Rutgers University – Newark faculty, staff, and students to engage in creative practice, foster democratic dialogue, and promote positive transformation. Conceived as a true collaborative in which community partners and the university can communicate on equal footing in what has been called, “The Third Space.”
The Office of University-Community Partnerships has a dynamic history grounded in principles of education, service, and community building with the greater Newark community. Our partnering footprint is sustained through key programs that make a difference such as OUCP Summer Academies, RU Ready to Work, Newark School Initiative, America Reads/Counts, New Fairmount Promise Neighborhood, and the African-American Brain Health Initiative.