Conditions for Deferral
Deferrals to Rutgers University-Newark (RU-N) are granted only for a full academic year, from one fall semester to the very next fall semester, with the exception of students leaving for military service. A deferral is official only when you are notified that the RU-N Office of Undergraduate and Graduate Admissions has granted your request.
Deferrals of admission may be granted to:
- First-year applicants admitted for the fall semester, and
- Transfer applicants who will be pursuing U.S. military service.
- A student wishing to defer an offer of admission to Rutgers University-Newark must make a request in writing by May 1.
- Your enrollment fee of $150 must be included with your written request for deferral. If your deferral is not granted, your fee will be returned.
- By July 1 of the year you are requesting the deferral, you must submit a final, official high school transcript certifying graduation and showing all courses and grades from grades 9 through 12. Deferrals are conditioned upon successful completion of all senior courses with no decline in grades.
- During the deferral year, you may not take any college courses. Enrollment in any college credit-bearing courses, even if you do not complete them, will nullify the deferral.
Re-Submitting for Admission
- If your deferral at Rutgers University-Newark has been granted and you would like to enroll at the university, you must complete and submit a new application for undergraduate admissions, follow all instructions, and adhere to all deadlines. No new application fee is required if you meet all of the deferral requirements. You may resubmit your previous essay or compose a new one.
- If you adhere to the terms above, you will receive a new admission packet. You will need to accept your offer of admission by May 1. The enrollment fee you paid when requesting your deferral will be applied to the new year.
Please note: Scholarships, admission to honors programs, and Educational Opportunity Fund (EOF) awards are specific to each academic year and may not be deferred at Rutgers University-Newark. Students who have deferred admission are considered for any scholarships, honors programs, and awards when they reapply to the university.